18-23 June 2012
- Archaeolandscapes Europe
- Radio Past project
- Mérida Institute of Archaeology (IAM)
Students and graduates in archaeology or related fields.
Number of places:
Archaeolandscapes Europe offers 5 grants of up to 500 euro to support students with no extra funding. More information here.
Merida Institute of Archaeology offers up to 9 free accommodation grants. Please apply in the preinscription form.
15 March: deadline for grant applications from the ArcLand project
- 30 March: deadline for pre-inscription
- 30 April: list of accepted students
- 2 May: notification of acceptance/rejection for an ArcLand grant
- 1 June: deadline for final inscription and payment
- 18-23 June: school
Acceptance will be based on a process of evaluation of the applications received during the pre-inscription period. A short statement and a CV will be required.
Introducing the basics of aerial imaging for archaeology, through a combination of short theoretical presentations and supervised practical seminars. The students will explore different interpretive and technical procedures, such as: photo reading and interpretation, georreferencing and rectification, data integration, GIS analysis, integration of aerial images with ground based techniques or data capture in the field with low altitude remote control devices.
Programme: thematic blocks
- Introductory issues: background, history, experiences and uses of aerial imagery in archaeology.
- Aerial Photo Reading & interpretation: theoretical introduction and interactive workshops.
- Mapping & data processing: georreferencing, rectification, GIS integration. Theoretical introduction and interactive workshops.
- Data Integration: Integrating aerial photographs and ground-based techniques. Theoretical introduction and interactive workshops.
- Field practice: data capture with low altitude device. Interactive workshop: processing, mapping and interpretation of field data.
- César Parcero-Oubiña, Institute of Heritage Sciences (Incipit), Spanish National Research Council (CSIC). (Archaeolandscapes Europe partner)
- Cristina Corsi, University of Evora & Frank Vermeulen, University of Ghent. (Radio Past partners)
- Victorino Mayoral & Enrique Cerrillo, Mérida Institute of Archaeology (IAM), Spanish National Research Council (CSIC)
Teaching experts - Archaeolandscapes Europe
- Dave Cowley, Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland
- Wlodek Raczkowski, Institute of Prehistory, Adam Mickiewicz University PoznaÅ„
- Rog Palmer, Aerial Archaeology Research Group AARG
- Antonio Malpica, Departament of Medieval History, University of Granada
- Luis VÃ¡zquez, Departament of Medieval History, University of Granada
Radio Past Project
- Frank Vermeulen, University of Ghent
- Cristina Corsi, University of Evora
- Geert Verhoeven, University of Ghent
Mérida Institute of Archaeology
- Victorino Mayoral, Mérida Institute of Archaeology, CSIC
- Enrique Cerrillo, MÃ©rida Institute of Archaeology, CSIC
- Almudena Orejas, Centre of Humanities and Social Sciences, CSIC
Download preinscription form here